Wednesday 11 September 2013

Configuring PPPoE with SDM

To configure PPPoE with SDM, we’ll first need a router connecting to a DSL modem, and then we’ll need to configure the interface as a client just as we did earlier. I’ll make it painless by using SDM on my 871W router.

After connecting to the router with SDM, I deleted the FastEthernet interface from SDM. Then, under Interfaces and Connections in the Tasks menu, I chose Create Connection.
From here, I clicked Ethernet (PPPoE or Unencapsulated Routing), then clicked Create New Connection, and got the welcome screen of the Ethernet WAN Configuration Wizard.
From here, I just clicked Next. From the Encapsulation screen, I checked Enable PPPoE Encapsulation and clicked Next.
I was then asked for my IP information. I just selected Easy IP (IP Negotiated, meaning DHCP), and clicked Next.
The next screen asked for my authentication information.
Normally, I would have to be provided with this information from my ISP to make this work. Here, I filled in some basic information and clicked Next. The next screen asked me for routing information.
I choose to make this my gateway of last resort by checking Default Static Route and selecting
Use this Interface as Forwarding Interface. I could have added the next-hop address, but it’s possible it could change since I’m using DHCP. After clicking Next, I received a summary of my configuration.


I clicked Next to have the configuration uploaded to my router. Now, let’s move on to configure Frame Relay with SDM.



No comments:

Post a Comment